THE BIG STORM


I’m a nervous traveler, to say the least. Terry isn’t. When we go to the movies, he gets upset if I dawdle too long at home. I think, “Big deal. So we’ll miss the ads and the previews.” But he wants to be in his seat well before the lights go down.

My devil-may-care husband.
About getting to the plane, he’s much more relaxed than I am. I want to be parked in front of the gate forty-five minutes before departure. That way, I won’t get left behind. He wants to take his time checking his bags, sitting somewhere comfortable and far away from the hubbub where he can read a book, and being the very last passenger to board. He figures they won’t leave without him.

These opposing philosophies sometimes make for tension while we’re getting ready, as well. I like to have everything packed twenty-four hours ahead. I feed my electronics liberally in the hours before I leave home so that they’ll have enough food to last until I arrive at the next outlet.

Terry throws stuff together at the last minute and takes everything but the kitchen sink. I cull and narrow things down to my one small suitcase.

So you can just imagine what getting ready was like when a huge storm hit the night before we left. I looked out our bedroom window at the swirling wind. Then I heard the loud groan of a transformer blowing. Uh oh.

I didn't kill him, but I wanted to.
At three o’clock the next afternoon, sweaty and sleep-deprived, we pulled away from a hot dark house, cats pacing forlornly, food slowly rotting in the refrigerator. Not exactly an auspicious beginning to our great Icelandic adventure.

We flew to JFK and waited for hours for our connection. It was an overnight flight, and the plane was packed. Terry and I didn’t get to sit together. I was in a window seat, agony for a charter member of the weak bladder club like myself.

But we survived and landed in Keflavik, the airport much improved over the last forty years.


previous post...                                                                                  next post...